As attested to by numerous inscriptions and religious traditions, the territory of Foligno was inhabited by theUmbrian populus. The Roman infiltration happened with the construction of the Flaminia road. The etymology of the name connects the city to sacred origin, with reference to the existence of the cult of the goddess Fulginia.
The area occupied by the Roman city was north of the current centre, as proved by the findings of the necropolis and the domus. Included in the Dukedom of Spoleto, Foligno suffered the invasion of the barbarian tribes. In the XII century the construction of the city commenced. Under the rule of the Ghibellini it suffered a harsh siege in 1253 from Perugia. In 1264 the Ghibellini’s returned to power. Then from 1305 to 1436 the Trinci took hold of the city as pontifical vicars. When the allegiance with the Vatican broke, Pope Eugene sent cardinal Giovanni Vitelleschi to siege the city and later set up a pontifical state. From 1798 to 1799 and from 1809 to 1814, the city suffered French domination. The city heavily participated in “The Resurgence.”(Italian Unification) In the last conflict it was subjected to bombardments and it was active centre in the struggle for liberation.
- Palazzo Trinci
- Civic Art Pinacoteca
- Museo Archaeologic – Archaeological Museum “Plestini Umbri”
- Institutional Museum – Oratory della Nunziatella
- Park Colfiorito Naturalistic Museum.